Probably the best known Spanish dish abroad is paella. In addition, it is one of the richest and most appreciated recipes in the world. For this reason, here we teach you how to make a seafood paella so that you can surprise your friends with your cooking knowledge.
Read on and learn how to prepare it.
Recipe: Seafood Paella
- 140 ml olive oil
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic
- 400 g rice
- Saffron (or food coloring)
- 600 g squid and / or cuttlefish
- 1.5 l fish broth
- 4 very beautiful crawfish
- 8 clochinas (mussels)
- 8 prawns the bigger the better
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 4 tablespoons tomato
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- Pour the oil into the paella pan, heat a little and add the chopped onion.
- When it is lightly browned, add the pieces of cuttlefish and squid, ensuring that the oil is not too hot so that the squid does not swell.
- Sauté over low heat for three minutes. Once the time has passed, make a hole in the center and add the tomato until it is toasted but without burning.
- Mix all the ingredients of the paella pan and sauté over low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture takes on a golden color.
- Add ¾ of the total amount of minced garlic.
- Continue sautéing over low heat and add the paprika. Stir for a few seconds and add the rice.
- After a minute, always over low heat to avoid burning the paprika, add the saffron or coloring.
- Besides, bring the fish stock to a boil and add to the mixture at this time. Add the remaining minced garlic and turn to high heat.
- Season to taste, making sure that the broth is a little salty, since the rice will absorb some of the salt.
- Depending on the type of rice, the paella should be cooked for 5 minutes over high heat.
- When the rice begins to appear under the broth, the pieces of shellfish are quickly added to the paella and finally the mussels. (This is the artistic moment, the pieces can be placed according to the aesthetic taste of the cook).
- Keep the paella on the fire for another 15 minutes before removing it.
Tricks and tips:
- The prawns must be fresh and have the skin and the head, because with them the broth used to cook the rice must be prepared.
- The seafood that is used in the preparation of this dish may vary. It is not necessary to use exactly those indicated in this recipe, although it is advisable to add prawns or prawns.
- If there is a possibility of adding pieces of crab, go ahead. The flavor it gives is impressive. If used, they should be added with the squid and cuttlefish during cooking.
- At the moment of serving it on the plate, some people add a splash of sherry, lemon or olive oil. It is an excellent practice that adds flavor and juiciness to the dish.
How to make the broth for the paella
- Put the heads and skins of the prawns in a pot with twice the amount of water as the shells.
- Add a pinch of salt and, if you like, some bay leaves. Cook over high heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain the broth and you’re done.
Finally, we hope you are encouraged to prepare this delicious seafood paella recipe.
Enjoy your meal!