Plant milks are in fashion. And no, they are not a temporary fad. These natural drinks stand out as healthy substitutes for cow’s milk. Do you know rice milk? We tell you how to prepare it and what its nutritional properties are.
Properties of rice milk
As some well know, it is one of the most popular vegetable milks. Not only is it quite low in calories, but it also has a number of nutritional properties. According to data from the US Department of Agriculture , it stands out because:
- It is low in fat: a glass has approximately 1.5 grams of fat, of which zero is saturated fat. This small amount of fat would allow us to have more energy and better absorb vitamins.
- It would strengthen the immune system: it contains vitamins and minerals that would help to increase the presence of antibodies to fight against infectious agents.
- It would improve digestion: it contains interesting doses of fiber. This nutrient improves intestinal motility and helps fight constipation, as different studies have pointed out. In addition, it is believed that it would reduce acidity and fight gastritis.
- It would reduce cholesterol: Its fiber and antioxidant compounds would help break down harmful lipids that lodge in the arterial walls, according to data from The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition .
- It would protect bone health: due to its contribution of calcium and vitamin D it could help take care of bones and dental health.
Does rice milk help you lose weight?
First of all, it is necessary to clarify that rice milk does not have fat burning properties or something similar. Its ability to help you lose weight is due to its nutritional properties, for example, its low calorie and fat intake compared to cow’s milk.
On the other hand, its dietary fiber content would stimulate digestion and decrease the accumulation of waste in the colon. It would also promote the reduction of high cholesterol levels and optimize metabolic functioning. Therefore, it could be said that it is a good complement to any type of diet.
In short, rice milk could help you lose weight because:
- It would improve digestion, minimizing the risk of constipation.
- It would prolong the feeling of fullness and decrease the need for “snacks” during the day.
- It would control high cholesterol levels.
- It would calm the feeling of hunger in exchange for few calories.
- It is low in fat and increases the energy level.
- It is rich in calcium, vitamin D, antioxidants, and dietary fiber.
As a fact to take into account, it is essential to know that rice milk does not have too much protein compared to cow’s milk. This means, for example, that it would be ideal to supplement your consumption with nuts, lean meats, legumes and other sources of protein.
Rice milk recipe
Preparing rice milk is much easier than you can imagine. You will see how in just a while you can have a good amount to drink during the day and store. The resulting drink can be consumed 2 or 3 times a day, either as part of the main meals or between meals.
- 1 cup of brown or brown rice (200 g)
- 8 cups of water (2 liters)
- 4 tablespoons of honey (40 g)
- Too easy. We will start by boiling the water. When it comes to a boil, we drop the cup of brown rice.
- We will lower the heat and let the rice cook for about two hours, with the pot covered. Very simple, as you can see. Once this time has passed, we turn off the fire so that it cools down a bit.
- Next, we pass all the content through the blender to obtain a very smooth cream. We are interested in doing it very well, processing it for a long time so that the rice milk is as thin as possible. Now we add the honey, and then continue processing with the blender.
- There are those who prefer to include a little cinnamon during cooking, but that goes to everyone’s taste.
- To preserve the rice milk it will be necessary to store it in airtight glass jars, in this way it will last longer. But the usual thing is that you consume it in two or three days.
Remember that this drink can be a supplement to the diet to lose weight. If you are really trying to lose weight, be sure to adopt healthy eating habits and an exercise routine, as well as visit your nutritionist.