In addition to not abusing anti-inflammatory drugs, we must remember that stomach ulcers can have a genetic component, so if this is our case, we must exercise extreme caution.
Stomach ulcers are a problem for many people. In most cases it is due to an infection caused by the Helicobacter Pylori bacteria and by food or emotional stress.
This article will mention a little about how to detect stomach ulcers and choose an appropriate treatment. Now, first we must warn you to always visit your doctor if you think you have a stomach ulcer.
Important information about stomach ulcers
Stomach ulcers are lesions in the lining of the stomach and the first part of the small intestine (duodenum). They affect both men and women equally.
The main symptom of this digestive problem is the burning sensation in the stomach and in the navel area, even if we have not eaten anything.
How do I know if I have stomach ulcers?
It is always good to know how to recognize the symptoms of this lesion of the mucous membranes, since then we can use a home remedy. Considering that the most important thing is to always go to a doctor.
Pay attention below!
Pain in the abdomen
Without having made any effort or eating too much, sometimes a kind of pang is felt between the breastbone and the navel. This pain can vary in intensity and duration.
The most appropriate description for this symptom is that of “burning” in the belly. You are likely to experience it more at night and when you have an appetite, as well as when it has been a long time since you last ate.
As mentioned previously, stomach ulcers present various symptoms. You need to be aware of them and remember that you will not always experience the same symptoms at the same time — there may even be several that you never feel. Some of them are the following:
- More belching and flatulence.
- Inability to drink fluids
- Feeling of having a full stomach without having eaten anything, or the appearance of hunger as soon as you have eaten.
- Mild nausea in the early morning or loss of appetite.
- General ill feeling, tiredness, or weight loss.
Symptoms of severe ulcer
If at the time you did not pay attention to all the above symptoms and did not follow any type of treatment, the ulcers become chronic and cause:
- Vomiting (some with blood)
- Dark, tarry, pasty stools
- Feces is blood
Propensity for ulcers
Although stomach ulcers are caused by bacteria, there are people who are more vulnerable to these ailments.
Pay attention to those people who are more likely to develop stomach ulcers :
- People already infected with H. Pyroli or other bacteria.
- Those who consume non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs very frequently. Aspirin and Ibuprofen are some of them.
- Those with a family history of ulcers.
- People who consume alcohol in excess.
- Patients with kidney, lung or liver diseases.
- Those over 50 years old.
Tips to prevent ulcers
If you are beginning to experience some symptoms or are among the groups most likely to suffer from this digestive problem, you need to change some of your habits. So, follow the advice that we present below.
Even so, the first thing we should do is consult a doctor, since it can be a serious problem.
Quit the cigarette
According to the National Library of Medicine of the United States, there is a very close relationship between smoking and the formation of stomach ulcers. In the same way, also with the poor healing of the wounds caused in the mucosa and the recurrence to suffer them again.
Avoid “trigger” foods
We refer to those that harm the health of the stomach and make it more prone to ulcers. Among the forbidden food to avoid the development of these lesions we can find some very consumed such as coffee or alcohol.
However, we must also avoid chocolate, mint, tomato or fats; as well as raw garlic, spicy or citrus fruits, such as lemon.
Do not consume certain medications
Certain pills may be helping one ailment but making another worse, such as ulcers.
For example, anti-inflammatories for arthritis or muscle aches damage the digestive mucosa. Consult your doctor if there is another alternative to your problem or seek natural treatments.
Juices and remedies for stomach ulcers
If you have finally come to the conclusion that you are suffering from digestive ulcers by observing your symptoms, it would be good that now you take advantage of some of these home treatments:
Some fruits, such as bananas, can be very useful to help us prevent stomach ulcers, according to this study carried out by the University of Medical Sciences of Villa Clara (Cuba). Thus, it is convenient to take a boiled green banana every day. We can also ingest it in a smoothie, to which we will add a slice of papaya. This we must drink up to twice a day.
On the other hand, we can prepare a juice based on half a kiwi, a quarter of a melon and a little water, a recipe that will undoubtedly be equally useful.
Infusions: great allies against stomach ulcers
Some natural plants can be very useful in preventing stomach ulcers. Pay attention to the following recipes:
- You can boil 2 tablespoons of chamomile and 2 of lemon balm in a cup of water. Infuse 5 minutes, strain and drink it after dinner.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of marshmallow and 1 teaspoon of ginger in a cup of boiling water, steep for a few minutes and drink it.
- Prepare a tea with 1 tablespoon of chamomile and 1 of St. John’s wort per cup of hot water. Strain and drink.
- Make an infusion with 1 liter of water for every 2 tablespoons of fenugreek, as stated in this study from the Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences (Iran). Strain and sweeten with honey.
Apart from natural plants and fruits, we can use other remedies to prevent ulcers. In this way, some cereals can become great allies, such as flax seeds. This is suggested by this study carried out by the Guru Jambheshwar University of Science & Technology (India).
On the other hand, we can also consume vegetables. A smoothie with 2 peeled carrots and 1 white cabbage leaf can be very beneficial in these cases. This is stated in this research carried out by the University of Medical Sciences of Villa Clara (Cuba).
Another alternative is to prepare a juice with half a green cabbage and a branch of celery, which we can sweeten with honey. Although there is no scientific evidence to support it, you do not lose anything by trying.
Finally, you may be interested in applying one of these two recipes:
- First, try mixing 2 egg whites and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Drink it on an empty stomach.
- On the other hand, you can put 2 tablespoons of aloe vera sage in a glass of water and add 1 of honey. Drink the result 15 minutes after lunch and dinner.
Have you already read how to prevent stomach ulcers? Do you know how to detect its symptoms? Once you have everything clear, you can start using some of our natural remedies!
But remember again: these recipes are never a substitute for any treatment, so you should visit your doctor, as it can be a serious problem.