The external use of castor oil can be useful for both aesthetic and medicinal purposes, as it is ideal, for example, to relieve muscle pain.
Castor oil is obtained from the seed of the same name. Sometimes the leaves are also used. In its composition you can find fatty acids, to which their incredible properties are attributed.
This shrub is also known as the infernal fig tree or castor, it is poisonous and belongs to the Euphorbiaceae family . Its oil could have a number of benefits that are good to know.
How do you get the castor bean?
Castor bean, as stated by research published in 2021, has been cultivated and used for centuries, and today it is possible to find it in all areas with a warm climate.
- It is grown annually and its size varies depending on the climate in which it is found. In warm places it is used to decorate gardens.
- In a temperate climate it can reach a height between 2.5 and 3 meters, while in a tropical climate it can reach 12 meters.
- Cold climates can be fatal, since castor bean does not survive frost.
Here we explain the main characteristics and benefits of castor oil.
Castor oil features
Within its structure the castor bean presents both sexes in a single plant.
- Its leaves are large, as they can measure between 10 and 35 cm in diameter approximately. However, with proper care they can reach up to 60 cm.
- These leaves have alternating colors between purple, red and green.
They are found in groups and can reach a length of between 20 and 50 cm. As we have already indicated, castor bean contains the male and female sex in its broad structure, in two different types of flowers arranged in bouquets or inflorescences.
Below we specify the differences between the two:
- Female flower: They have a diameter of between 1.5 and 3 cm. They are in the upper part of the inflorescence with an ovary formed by three leaves and a pistil destined to capture pollen.
- Male flower: It measures between 25 and 30 cm. They are in the lower part of the inflorescence and have a calyx and a pedicel of up to 12 mm.
In some places, castor oil is also known as “castor oil,” which is why some people believe that it comes from the animal. However, this is only the result of a bad translation of the English “castor oil”, which refers to castor oil and not to the animal.
Benefits of castor oil for the body
Castor oil, when introduced in the context of a varied and balanced diet, could provide the following health benefits.
Helps relieve arthritis
To take advantage of the properties of castor oil to mitigate the pain caused by arthritis, we must heat it (to a bearable temperature) and apply it to the affected area.
We can apply it directly or with the help of a cloth, and repeat as many times as deemed necessary. It should be noted that several investigations indicate that it is not an optimal product for consumption, but that it is important to apply it topically.
This oil helps to soften the muscles, tones them and also helps to relieve pain that occurs in the body.
It is especially effective against back pain, which in some people is so repetitive due to poor posture.
How to use?
To take advantage of its benefits, a hot portion should be applied through gentle circular massages in the area where the discomfort occurs. If you wish, you can repeat it up to 2 times a day.
This oil helps reduce the annoying and unsightly dark circles that are the result of fatigue or genetic condition.
According to a study published in The Ouclar Surface, its application on the eye contour could be effective as a cosmetic treatment.
How to use?
- It should be applied a little daily by gentle strokes, without stretching the skin and leaving a few minutes on it.
- In this way we will achieve that the nutrients penetrate the skin. Thus, we will improve the appearance of the affected area.
Eyelashes usually fall out when rubbing eyes, makeup, and so on. Some people have weaker eyelashes than others and this can be discouraging.
Luckily, castor oil helps promote eyelash growth.
How to use?
- To take advantage of its properties, we must apply it daily with the help of a mascara brush that is no longer in use and is completely clean.
- If we use it every night in a short time we will be able to notice the changes.
Include castor oil in your routines
Although the intake of this product is not recommended, castor oil can help improve the external appearance of the skin and treat health problems related to muscle inflammation. It is important to always apply it as an element for topical use and avoid its consumption.