Either by absorbing sweat or by being stored for a long time, clothes tend to acquire some unpleasant odors that are difficult to remove during regular washing.
There may be several reasons why our garments are not as we wish:
- The presence of mold or humidity in the cabinets.
- Its exposure to environments with strong odors.
- The scent of bodily fluids.
- Food or drink stains that remain impregnated on clothing.
The quickest way to combat them is to use scented fabric softeners and other chemicals that easily penetrate fabrics.
However, these options can be harmful, not only because they affect the environment but because their components can generate unwanted health reactions. This is suggested by this research carried out by the Cruces University Hospital (Bilbao).
However, there are several homemade methods that, by combining natural ingredients, help to neutralize it without affecting the quality of the fabrics.
That is why we want to share 6 ecological tricks that will facilitate this task without exposing your health.
1. White vinegar instead of fabric softener
White vinegar has multiple applications when it comes to household cleaning, and is actually a great alternative for washing clothes.
Its acidic compounds help deodorize and facilitate the removal of dirt and food stains.
In fact, some consider it to be a good alternative to fabric softeners, as it leaves fabrics with a very nice texture.
How to use?
- Pour half a cup of white vinegar into the washing machine, just like you do with fabric softener.
- For odors that are too strong, add the vinegar to a bowl of water and soak the garments for 20 minutes.
2. Cold air
Cold air, such as from the refrigerator, is a good treatment for the musty odor that permeates some clothing.
How to use?
- Get an airtight bag, put the garment inside and leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- After this time, remove the garment, rinse it and put it to air dry.
3. Baking soda
Baking soda is one of the natural ingredients that are most used as an ecological cleaning method.
Its absorbent power facilitates the elimination of substances that cause unpleasant odors and stains on clothing.
Applied directly, it removes sweat residues and has a whitening effect to leave clothes impeccable.
In addition, it highlights colored garments and takes care of delicate fabrics.
How to use?
- Sprinkle the product on the garments you want to wash, let it act for 20 minutes and remove it with the help of a brush.
- Optionally, put a small amount in cabinets to absorb musty odor.
4. Tea tree oil
Tea tree essential oil is a product valued for its antibacterial and antifungal components, according to this study carried out by the Medical University of Silesia (Poland).
As for the care of clothes, it is used as an odor neutralizer, since its soft aroma eliminates the smell of humidity.
How to use?
- Add a little tea tree oil to a spray bottle of water and apply it to the desired garments.
- Wait for it to act for an hour outdoors and check that the bad smell has been eliminated.
5. Lemon juice
Fresh lemon juice is a natural ingredient that can help us eliminate the smell of sweat and, incidentally, the stains caused by it.
Its citric acid easily penetrates the tissues and eliminates the substances that cause these annoying problems.
How to use it?
- Dilute the juice of several lemons in two liters of warm water and soak the clothes for 30 to 40 minutes.
- After this time, rinse as usual and air dry.
6. Orange peels
Orange peels give off a citrus scent that can help neutralize unpleasant aromas caused by sweat, mold, and spilled substances.
Its compounds are delicate with fabrics, leave a smooth texture and help to facilitate the removal of stains and dirt.
How to use them?
- Boil several orange peels in two liters of water and, when it comes to a boil, wait for it to stand for a few minutes and soak the garments.
- After two or three hours, rinse and dry in the sun.
As you can see, it is not necessary to spend money on chemicals to get rid of bad smells in clothing.
Prepare one of these solutions and say goodbye every time they bother you.